Essential characteristics for volunteering as a Host Family:
- Has a love for Christ and desire to serve others
- Has a mother figure in the home, preferably working less that 20 hours per week
- Does not have teenaged boys in the home (or young adult, unmarried men in the home.)
- Has a spare bedroom so our APO girl would not be sharing a room with a family member.
The following characteristics are not essential, but can often be very complementary for this ministry.
- Small children are in the home
- Host mom can attend doctors visits with girl
- Complete Volunteer Application. After completing, you may either save, then email back to us as an attachment, or you can print and send via mail.
- Set up interview with an APO staff member at APO office. We will discuss both the joys and difficulties of host family living, what you can expect from APO, and what APO can expect from your family.
- Submit consent for background checks.
- Drug screen and TB testing
- Meet APO girl with one of staff member present to introduce your family, your home, and basic ground rules for living in your home.
- Welcome her into your home.