Volunteering and Donations
Community involvement makes Mama Club happen! There are so many needs and opportunities that we have a place for you whatever your passion and whatever your time or monetary resources.
Some people prefer to support the work done through Mama Club and not be personally involved. The following areas for monetary or material support exist:
- $ 25 per month covers the cost of paper goods and plasticware used during Mama Club meals
- $ 60 per month covers the cost of purchasing diapers from the Brazos Valley Food Bank as a partner agency
- $ 75 provides a book of bus tickets to help Mama Club girls get to pick up locations or to job interviews
- $150 per month covers the utility costs for climate control of the nursery and education room used by Mama Club
- $800 provides one week of summer camping experience for a teen and one child; additional children are $200 each
For those who prefer being in the action and seeing the changes in teens and their children face to face, the following opportunities exist. Applications and Criminal Background checks are done on all who have contact with teens and their children. Training and support is provided by the staff of Aggieland Pregnancy Outreach and Young Life Brazos Valley Staff.
- Nursery Supervisors - typically "Moms with Experience" who supervise nursery volunteers and children weekly or bi-monthly as their schedule allows
- Nursery Volunteer - typically college students but is a great place to get a baby fix if you're "waiting to be a grandmother," can serve once or many times in the semester
- Mentor Moms - Women who will commit to being a nonjudgmental, supportive, and consistent adult in the teen's life. Face-to-face contact is required on a weekly basis and can be a wide variety of types and duration. When face-to-face contact cannot happen, a phone call is the next best thing. Email Victoria at Victoria@PregnancyOutreach.org for more information.
- Musicians to provide musical support of a teaching topic or praise opportunites periodically as club programming permits
For those who prefer to be behind scenes, we have many ways you can support and impact the ministry:
- Prayer support - receive weekly or bi-monthly emails with activities and prayer requests for the ministry and its participants and supporters
- YoungLives Committee/Board members - interface with an Area Director of Young Life Brazos Valley for the purpose of vision casting, and long range planning. For more information, Email JP Harris at YLBV@verizon.net
- Meal Providers - Individuals or small groups provide a hot and nutritious meal for 40. Menu suggestions are provided and we request you commit to a specific date so we do not double book a night. Please Email Vickie Thomas at VickieThomas@PregnancyOutreach.org for more details or to sign up to provide a meal.
- Donations of the following items for use during Mama Club nights
- Gift cards in $10 - $20 increments for door prizes or emergency support of a teen or her child
- New children's clothing from Infant to size 5t
- New Infant and Toddler equipment such as car seats, bassinets/cribs, mattresses and sheets, strollers, high chairs, bouncers, etc.
- New educational and developmental stimulating toys for ages 2-5
- Donations of gently used baby and children's clothing, shoes, coats, crib and bassinett sheets, toys, and equipment for inclusion in the Mama Closet
- Diaper Coordinator- conducts inventory, orders from the Food Bank and picks up and delivers to Mama Closet, and possibly prepares diapers for distribution (can be shared between two people or with other Mama Club volunteer support)
- Organizers and sorters of donations from the community. Also prepares diaper packages for distribution. Usually takes 1-3 hours weekly. Can be shared with other volunteers.
If you have a passion or gift not mentioned here that you think could be helpful to the Mama Club, please let us know. Email Victoria at Victoria@PregnancyOutreach.org and give us your ideas. We welcome all suggestions.