The thought of adopting a child can be exhilarating (and sometimes terrifying!). At APO, we want to take the “terrifying” out of the equation for you. We are a down-to-earth adoption agency staffed by caring Christians with years of experience helping couples build their families through adoption.
Aggieland Pregnancy Outreach began providing support services to women facing unplanned pregnancies in 1997. By December 2002, APO received its license from the Texas Health and Human Services Commission to provide full adoption services. There were 6 couples in our first intake “class” in February 2003 and the first adoption placement happened in December 2003. It was for twins!
In an average year, approximately 8 babies find their adoptive parents through the services of APO. While that might not seem like a large number, we keep the number of waiting to adopt families relatively low – usually 16 or less. Since we work with a limited number of families, we can enjoy getting to know them well.
The majority of the children adopted through APO are infants and generally go to the adoptive parents directly from the hospital. Approximately 2% of the children are older. Their ages range anywhere from 6 months to 10 years old. These are private adoptive placements not through Child Protective Services.
Most people want to know how long it takes to adopt. At APO, we tell you to expect to wait at least 18 months after your home study is complete, but honestly, it’s just so hard to tell. Some families have matched with a birthmother after two weeks and other families have waited 3 years! Because birth families choose the adoptive families, we just cannot predict. What we can promise, however, are opportunities to be seen by birth families.
The couples who adopt through APO meet these basic requirements:
- Man and woman who have been married for at least three years
- Both are Christians and members of the same Bible-believing church
- One parent will be a “stay at home” parent (working no more than 20 hours per week outside of the home) for the child’s first three years.
Getting Started with APO
1. The first step toward working with APO is to read our 25 page information packet:
2. If both husband and wife feel they meet our eligibility requirements after reading the entire packet, we invite you to complete the online “Fact Sheet.” You can find the link to the Fact Sheet form on the second to last page of the Information Packet. This is a very short form that simply asks for a few facts about you.
3. Once you submit the form, we will quickly contact you about the date of our next Adoption Information Meeting. These meetings generally occur quarterly and are required for intake into our program. We look forward to working with you on your journey of adoption!